Friday, September 9, 2011

You've got mail


Dial tone.  Dialing.  "Bing... Bong... Bing...  You've got mail."  Oh what glorious words those were!

The first few were from my mom.  Then I found friends.  Then I found advertisements, newsletters, and ultimately spam.  Then a boyfriend.

But those three small words would just make my heart leap into my throat with anticipation.  I would check it at all times of the day.  I'd check it at 2:30 am when I returned home from waitressing.  I would check it again at 3:00 just to make sure I didn't miss anything before I went to sleep.  Then, when I woke up, I'd connect again to see if I missed anything during the last few hours while I was sleeping.

It was always such a letdown when "You've got mail" wasn't said at all because that meant no one loved me.  Such a swing of emotions over this new technology.

8 comments:

Melanie said...

I know what you mean! I still feel a little bit that way when I open email or FB and there is nothing there. Don't I matter to anyone!?!

Jacki said...

While I don't miss my AOL days, I do really miss hearing those words. And I still obsessively check my inbox to see if I have anything there.

Galit Breen said...

Oh what sweet little words, huh?

confession: I still feel that urge to check in on-line today. but now it's email and twitter and facebook and *sigh.*

I love the way that you focused in on the moment of opening up an email. A small moment indeed!

kaleba said...

Oh my gosh yes. Email grew on me like algae on a pond-- beautiful and yet suffocating, for I wouldn't want to live without it.

Nice post in response to the prompt. I can definitely relate to the email addiction of checking in at all hours, even now, thirteen years after my initial introduction.

AmandaDF said...

Checking my email was like a compulsion. Even if I knew I hadn't received anything, I still checked. So crazy!

CDG said...

I still get that visceral reaction to the little red email/chat notification circle on my Mac.

Mail! Squee!

angela said...

Sigh...remember when it WAS just e-mail...now it's all sorts of things to check and get excited about :)

I hope you still get fun e-mails from time to time!

Christy said...

Thank you all so much for the feedback! Definitely makes me want to write more. I sincerely appreciate the comments.